Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My New Toy - FIMO Modelling Clay

hontor.deviantart.com


Recently I've been thinking a lot about expanding the media that I use in my artwork, be it with traditional artwork, painting or other. Not too long ago I decided to buy myself some FIMO modelling clay to try and make some little sculptures and models s an outlet for broadening my work as an artist.

One of my main influences in deciding to try and make sculptures and models was looking at the work of a Russian sculptor and artist, Hontor. I first came across Hontor when I discovered a beautifully crafted sculptor of his on DeviantArt that is now in a private collection in the Netherlands so I decided to look through his gallery to see what else he has made and what I found was truly beautiful.

The picture shown above is one of his latest works, a small white and blue dragon that I believe has already been sold and is in yet another private collection somewhere in the world. What attracts me most to his work are the patterns on the dragons body that make up his scales and mane. The way that he hand makes each swirled design to put onto the model he is making makes it stand out and just in general i believe makes it better.
Other works of his that use this similar layering style I've shown below:





I am going to try and recreate this layered, detailed pattern in my own little models when I begin making them. I am hoping that should I make enough of a high enough standard I will attempt to make my own commission work and sell them at a later date. Very excited to start it all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment