Sunday, June 2, 2013

Diablo 3 - Stationary Movement




Diablo III is a game that I've adored since I first got my hands on it. The game play itself I thought was interesting but overall average for the diablo series. What attracted me the most about this game was its art and cutscenes. 

What I find most interesting about Diablo III is the way that the game combines absolutely stunningly detailed cutscenes that sport fully rendered and animated models with the sketchy ancient concept art feel that reflects Diablos time period. 

The cutscene shown above is an example of how concept art is used in Diablo III's minor in game cinematics. I love this cutscene for the subtle combination of stationary concept art coupled with animation of the same concept art in later scenes, the way that these two factors come together gives the entire animation the feel of being in a magic storybook of some sort and its this style of animating that I would like to look further into in the future as well as learning more about how the effects are made (presumably in After Effects) and how to get such fluid transitions in my own projects in the future. 

The colour of this cinematic is also something that I have now begun to consider with my own prospective animations as prior to using Diablo III as reference to my work I had only considered to use intricate colour theory as shown in Guild Wars 2 cinematics, until now I hadn't considered giving my projects the feel of looking at an old painting or map so I've found this to be an extremely useful reference to have so far. 

Watching the Diablo III cutscenes has also spurred me on to trying to find other cinematics that share similarities in style and colour, two that I know of being 'Borderlands' and 'Sonic and the Secret Rings.'
I will continue to look further into this style and presentation of cutscenes and will consider developing this style further in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment