Thursday, May 10, 2012

Idea And Concept Development - Design Inspirations

Throughout the process of making my environment I used my different interests to collect ideas. In the beginning I used my interest in mythology and magical creatures to create the layout for my first environment. However i didn't use my knowledge of mythology to inspire me alone, I looked at several different games that follow the fairy tale genre and gathered information from those.

The first game I knew I could get useful information from immediately was "Elder Scrolls, Skyrim". This game was perfect for the environment that I was designing as right from the start of the game you are attacked by dragons, trolls and a variety of other beasts. Whilst playing the game I took note of the scenery and how things were placed in valleys, caves and waterfalls and used the ideas that Skyrim had inspired me with to reflect on my own environment.

Another game I looked at was "NiGHTS, Journey of Dreams," compared to Skyrim this game is extremely cartoony and surreal but it was no less useful to my inspiration. Where Skyrim gave me ideas on the placement of objects and setting the scene, NiGHTS gave me inspiration to study the particle systems that the games uses more carefully. A good example of this is when the main character is flying, sparkles come from the players hands. 

Through combining these games I was able to get a feel of how these different effects could be used in my environment to give it the best effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment