Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Character Concept 3 - Mammoo Moodboards & Inspiration


Before I even started to properly create Mammoo I knew what I wanted him to have incorporated into his design. The design of Mammoo was to represent the embodiment of cosy winter clothing while at the same time not making him look human. I began to draw up some digital designs for him and my finished result I couldn't have been happier with, I drew his body made up of thick colourful wool covering almost is entire anatomy, his arms were designed to resemble winter scarfs and I deliberately designed them this way to allow for cartoony over-exaggerated movements, his fingers resemble the tassels on the end of some kinds of scarf and his feet patterns look like snow boots.

Before I had even started the Maya modelling side of my character I had already established that the style I wanted Mammoo to look like would closely resemble that of children's show, Pocoyo (shown above). The reason for me choosing to model in this way is so that I have more room to breathe with the fur design as I know that modelling fur wont be the easiest thing to do but in the Pocoyo style I can get away with making something that would normally look wooly look smooth instead.   


After making his initial design (the biggest light blue one on the colour chart) I decided to try with more colours although never really straying too far from the arctic colour scheme. After I had finished making the colour chart I had a new idea, as looking at the designs it looked like each Mammoo was from a different place, the blue variations looking more cooler and settled whereas the more greener variations could be matched with a more tropical or overgrown forest environment.
I have however chosen the colour of my Mammoo that I'll be designing further in Maya, however this wont stop me from creating my own set of these creatures and experimenting with different climates and appearances in my own time.


The final thing I did in my development was use my original reference image to create a turn around T-pose design that i could use as further reference for when it came to modelling in maya. I'm happy with how this T-pose came out as I feel like I've correctly identified each part of his anatomy successfully.

I will continue to experiment with Mammoo and his design outside of the module and work on making new designs such as female Mammoo, tribe chieftain Mammoo and Mammoo from different parts of the world, maybe using the most green design on my colour chart and converting his fur into a more leafy appearance. I'm very proud and excited to have made my character the way I have and hope to improve as the year goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment