Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Maya - Alien Rigging

After I had finished modelling my character and decided its design was good enough to continue I began learning about rigging. We had previously known about rigging and played around with it a little bit before but up until now I had never actually rigged a character so this task was quite a nervous one for me to begin.


Althought I was nervous about starting the whole process I was thankful that we had all been given the resources to review how to rig through an asortment of video tutorials that were put up online for us to watch at our own pace, I liked this because it meant that I could rewatch the tutorials from home in an attempt to understand them better.

It soon became clear that rigging was a lot harder than what it looked like from the video tutorials and nothing but one-hundred percent concentraition was needed in order to make a sucessful rig. It was this lack of confidence in myself that made my lose concentraition throughout the tutorials on numerous occassions, causing me to have to constantly rewind and recap on what had been said in order to try and understand a bit better.


Thankfully I began to understand better about how a characters skeleton needs to look in order to be sucessfully rigged and planned to use what I had learnt through watching the video tutorials to be applied to my own module character for the machinima and even my own projects outside of my studies in my spare time.

 
Although it feels like its taken me a very long time to learn the basics of creating a rigged skeleton for a character I really do think i'm begining to understand more. I know this because I can generally create a skeleton without having to consult the video tutorials for help on what to do next and this makes me feel proud as I sometimes find it hard to understand the more difficult and fast paced goals that we are told to achieve.
 
In the future I hope to use what I have learned in order to rig my own character outside of uni projects and hopefully further my understanding of the process also.

No comments:

Post a Comment