Thursday, October 25, 2012

Castle Crashers - Art Doesn't Always Have To Be Detailed




Recently I bought one of my favourite games made for the xbox which had come out on Steam for the PC, Castle Crashers.
Ever since I first played it, Castle Crashers has been a personal favourite of mine as it combines the classic Streets of Rage beat-em-up with action, adventure and comedy. What I've always appreciated the most about this game however, is its art.

Castle crasher art is very much unlike anything I've seen in games before and sticks to a generally simplistic design for its characters although occasionally becoming more detailed for boss fights and even they are not stuffed to the gills with detail and pin-point brush accuracy.

Below are samples of some of the characters that you can play as in Castle Crashers other than the main coloured Knights shown above:


This character preview table shows all of the playable characters to choose from in Castle Crashers all varying in detail. This is what I love about CC, even the characters with the most detail such as the chain mail warriors (right, second from the top & left, same row) that have had to have rows of metal chains complete with rendering still fit the overall simplistic feel of the games design. 

Playing this game a lot has inspired me to start creating more simplistic art and also spurred me on to making my own interpreted image of myself in the Castle Crasher style, shown below:


Its games such as these that really give me inspiration to create new and interesting styles of art and I will continue to keep an eye out for similar art styes such as these in the hope that they will aid me in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment