Friday, November 30, 2012

Mammoo Modelling - House Keeping

After sucessfully going through each online tutorial about rigging and controlling my Mammoo character the only video left to watch was the housekeeping one. The first thing I did rather than follow along with what the tutorial told me to do was just to listen to it as I wanted to know what it was we were cleaning up on our character. After watching the final tutorial I had decided that I didn't want to do as the video had instructed me to do as the point of that particular tutorial was to show how to lock off a characters movement for a more humanoid feel to it. My character, Mammoo, was not designed in mind to be human nor have human movements as he was designed for cartoony, wobbly movements. I knew that locking off Mammoos joints would not do him justice, especially in his arms as I designed them to look like winter scarfs.

I have tested Mammoos controllers for any unwelcome spiking or distortion in his geometry but because I have properly weight painted him this has not caused any problems. He can however be rotated a full 360 degrees on his upper spine controllers and as a resort become somewhat grape shaped, curling into himself but I think I prefer him with these minor faults to allow for ultimate freedom of movement rather than locking off his joints and resticting him.

I will however follow this tutorial to the letter when creating more rigid creatures in Maya as part of my modelling in my own time for portfolio use and feel that although I havnt applied its uses in this perticular character I have certainly learned from it and will apply what I have learned from it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment