Saturday, December 1, 2012

Maya - Alien Controllers

Now that the geometry of the alien was ready as was its skeleton it was time for me to create the controllers that would soon enough manipulate the skeletal structure.
The first time I watched the tutorial for creating the controllers I was extremely confused and quite overwhelmed by how many needed to be used for a little alien model, it made me think about how many controllers could be used for more complex models like a giant snake-spider monster or something of like like.
 

Having recapped the video a few times I began to understand where to place the controllers and why they had to be snapped to each perticular spot, I also learned how to create nice looking shapes using the maya grid, I used this knowledge to create my master controller with the various arrows coming off of it.

 
After everything was made I had to make sure that everything was parented up properly to the correct joint on the rig in order to make it move, this was when I learned about different orient constraints and how they work. The final thing that I did was to make each controller distinguishable from another, I did this by colour co-ordinating the left, right and centre controllers.
RED = Right
BLUE = Left
YELLOW = Centre
WHITE = Master
The colouring part was probably my most favourite part of the whole controller process because I didn't have to think much about what I was doing and it gave me good time to recap in my mind what i had learned and how I could apply what I had learned to my machinima model and future out of hours models.

No comments:

Post a Comment