Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Train Your Brain" - Deviantart Competition


Recently an advertisement appeared on deviantART promoting an upcoming new competition for artists of all mediums. After reading through it and the many various categories that you could enter in I came across the 2D entry section. The criteria was quite loose, stating that they wanted to see some sort of character or landscape concept art and that other than that we were free to do as we pleased so long as there were no character turnarounds as they were exempt from this competition.

I had a think about what it was that I could design, what things I could possibly create or sketch up when I realised that I already had a piece of recently created concept art that had both character and landscapes in; my Sunset Samurai picture.
Although it was already a week or so old by this point I figured why not? It matched the criteria that deviantART wanted and there was nothing to tell me otherwise so I went ahead and submitted it.

Truthfully I knew I wouldn't win, why would I? I looked through all the other submissions into the category that I was in and I knew that already I didn't stand a chance. Some of the work was truly remarkable and very inspiring to look at, some of which gave me ideas to consider in the future.
I think what I really wanted out of submitting my work was to just have to courage to let a mass of other artists see my work, to have it looked at and maybe even appreciated for what it was.
I don't expect that I'll get any feedback when there are so many other submissions that are stunning but I'm still glad that I went ahead and did it, it made me feel proud that I actually opened myself up at bit and allowed my work to be the subject of so many eyes of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment