Monday, January 28, 2013

VFX Initial Ideas

After we were given our brief for the new module i sat down and started to think about what sources of inspiration I could use to create my ship, alien and ship interior. I made three separate pages for each design that I needed to make. Immediately I used some of my most favorite games that I knew had the criteria I needed as inspiration. I knew that I wanted a more haunting and scary short film as my last module was very family friendly so I focused more on more serious designs. Because I enjoy drawing beasts and other creatures rather than mechs my first brain storm page focused on the alien. On this page I considered a range of possible ideas, from cute and cuddle Neopets to more stereotypical representations of aliens shown in Star Wars.
My second page focused on my ship interior, for this page I referenced games such as Halo, that I knew were heavily Mech oriented. I also considered other games such as Sonic and Star Fox as the ships shown I found to be quite appealing. Although I didn't reference as many things on this page the games still gave me enough concepts to design my own ships interior.
The last page i designed was dedicated to the design of the space ship itself. I repeated some of the references that I had used previously for my space ship interior such as Halo and Sonic the hedgehog. Aside from games I also considered using reference from nature, doing research on heavily built animals to see how their bodies protect themselves in the wild.

I will continue to look through different references over the next few days until I have a rough idea of what it is I want out of my short film where I will then make some rough sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment