Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Evolution of a Monster - Pt 1.

So the first step I've taken to designing my monsters was to create various mood boards of the things that I've been looking at. These mood boards featured various things including death, disease and human/animal deformity. These mood boards have been very valuable in helping me to make my initial sketches and notes on the kinds of monster that Im wanting to make.


The first mood board that I put together was based on the theory of masks and monsters that hide the face. These masks are made up of various cultural designs, from traditional theatrical masks and oriental masks to latex or clay masks used as "death masks" it was these death masks that interested me the most as they were once commonly used to capture the face after a person had died in order to be kept as a memento of the person who has gone. There is something about the death masks that reflect how lifeless and drawn in the face becomes that makes what was once human into something that is more befitting of the uncanny valley.


PLEASE NOTE: THE FOLLOWING MOOD BOARD FEATURES DISTURBING IMAGES. 







The next mood board I created was based on the physical extremes of the human anatomy and how drastically it can be effected when faced with death or mutilation. This Mood board was very useful for me as I was able to use references for how the deformed human face and body can be related to monsters. The way the the skin hangs from some of the faces of the people, as if they've melted, is quite important to create the "masked monster" that uses anonymity and lets no emotion show.



The last two mood boards that I made focused on slightly less gruesome facial deformities, I researched babies and animals born with cyclops genes, leg deformities in frogs and body deformities in various murder cases and animals that had been caught in rubbish who's bodies had grown around the waste that had wrapped around them.

These mood boards are proving to be very useful to me, not only am I learning more about medicine and how the human body works but also how these different ailments, accidents and deformities aid in creating monsters that are both bizarre and terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment